The consonant for this column is P, so all five members of this group will be
P followed by one of the five vowels, in order.
- ぱ [PA]
- ぴ [PI]
- ぷ [PU]
- ぺ [PE]
- ぽ [PO]
As you may have noticed, this column is just like the H column, except that all of the characters have a small circle in the top-right corner. This little circle is known as a Handakuten (
How to Write
For reference, here is a quick review of the general rules for stroke order:
- All characters should fill a square of about the same size
- Top to bottom, left to right
- Horizontal strokes before vertical strokes that intersect them
The following words can be written using only the characters we have covered so far. Once you’ve practiced reading them a couple of times, try writing them on a piece of paper without looking and see how well you do.
- ぱちんこ [pa chi n ko] pachinko (sometimes referred to as Japanese pinball)
- ぴったり [pi t ta ri] perfectly, precisely
- おとこっぽい [o to ko p po i] boyish
- きっぷ [ki p pu] ticket (e.g. for a train)
- ぺこぺこ [pe ko pe ko] very hungry
When you’re ready, click here to move on to our final group!